Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Making the Weekend Count


The stars aligned in Yangjae on Saturday. First, I met up with the Runsploring group at the Yangjae Citizen’s Forest. This park was created in anticipation of the Seoul Asian Games (1986) and the 24th Olympic Games (1988). After a quick lap around the park area we mainly ran on a pleasant path along the creek. Overall, I was underwhelmed, at least in winter. On the flipside, it was great to be in the company of fresh air and running enthusiasts!

Second stop: Yangjae Flower Market. A huge greenhouse filled with vivid orchids, cacti of all types, insect-eating plants, potted herbs, small trees! Wandering around this jungle was a mini-adventure in itself. I snagged some potted rosemary and lucky bamboo…a huge steal.

The last of the three aligning stars was a trip to a café called The Velo from where I had eaten the most delicious ciabatta at a festival only a month before. An hour is a little far for a great café, even for me, but since I was in the area it was not to be missed. Actually tracking it down was a bit of wild goose chase, even though we were equipped with Google Maps. Too often I dig something up from the blogosphere that I try to hunt down in the city. It feels like I'm playing a video game--I'm just the little blue dot trying to reach the red flag! Upon a second sampling of ciabatta and pastries, the journey might just be worth the commute in the future. And the farther you go outside the city, the more wonderful the prices are. Post-workout endorphins + delicious carbs = heaven!

Why is it that I love going to the movies much more than I ever did in America? Is it all the flavors of popcorn (butter, cheese, garlic, and caramel) to choose from? Is it that Korean theaters feel cleaner and fancier? That they are a little cheaper? The love seats for two? Or that seeing an American film is somehow more exciting in a foreign country? American blockbusters play in the many theaters that fill Korea, though usually with earlier or later release dates than in America. Seoul even touts the second largest movie screen in the world and a number of 4D theaters. To compliment an awesome Saturday Italian dinner, we finally managed to see Silver Linings Playbook.

The weekend nearly marked my sixth month anniversary of living in Korea. However, I had been lacking a major experience: a full all-nighter. Bars in Charlottesville close at a conservative 2pm, but nightlife in Korea operates past sunrise. (I'm long overdue for a post on Hongdae...stay tuned.) You might be thinking why on earth people would stay out that late, but let me tell you just how easy it is to lose track of time. Subway opening time (6am) also happens to be a convenient time to wrap up a good night.

For better for worse, instead of making a 20 minute subway ride home at 6am, I encouraged my friends to peer pressure me into heading all the way to Gangnam for a (sickening) American-style brunch. For 30 bucks, we put only a dent in the Alligator’s Back: ten waffles, four generous scoops of ice cream, two piles of whipped cream, and eight fruit compotes. It tasted good but felt…horrible. Unfortunately, it took a stomachache to remind myself of yet another reason to be vegan.

If you don’t go to sleep on Saturday, is it really Sunday? I think it’s only fair that if you have the stamina to make it until Sunday sunrise you get a bonus day. Alas it doesn’t work that way. Sunday morning involved deliriously streaming a high school basketball game and watching a sixteen-point lead in a regional championship game disappear before my eyes. After a nap, I collected myself enough to see Stop Kiss, an enjoyable play performed by an expat acting group. To round out the weekend, we finally made it to the Japanese tofu-inspired restaurant, Kyotofu. My three leaves of lettuce were pricey but delicious. Once I got home and my head hit the pillow they didn’t open until 11 hours later.


Hey, who snuck this picture of us running!?!

 So many gorgeous displays!

A little bonsai

A member of the carnivorous plant family

I'm ready to backpack someplace tropical!

Post-sandwich delight

Yangjae Citizen's Forest is located on the newest of 16 subway lines.
I'm not sure where the driver sits, but it's not in the front car!




No comments:

Post a Comment