Wednesday, October 10, 2012

An Update on Allie Teacha


So there is also this part of moving to a Korea where I have a job and responsibilities.  I am approaching the halfway mark for the term as midterm exams are being given this week.  I guess you could say I am getting the hang of teaching, although I still feel like I’m learning on the job everyday.  Holding my own but still I have so far to go in becoming a good teacher.  Tomorrow, l have to give a 20 minute lesson to my three bosses who will act as imaginary Korean students so they can give me some feedback on my teaching skills. Can you say awkward?

I thoroughly enjoy teaching my Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes and on those days leave school feeling like someone might have possibly have even learned something.  I look forward to these days and want these kids to be the happiest English students in all of Korea.  However, my Tuesday/Thursday classes still feel like time wasted…and it can be really disheartening.  I know Korean students take these language classes in addition to many other classes all day long, so for this reason I don’t blame them too much for being such rascals.

I prefer teaching higher-level classes, I think.  This also happens to correlate almost perfectly with the fact that my higher-level classes are better behaved.  Teaching any class, but particularly lower-level classes, involves incredible amounts of patience.  Just when you think you can’t speak any slower, in comes a parent complaint that you are speaking too fast.  In one of my highest level classes I even had a couple complaints from parents about speaking too fast.  Apparently no new teacher to Korea can escape this problem and it is something that just takes practice, so I try not to let myself get down about it.  This particular class seems to have extremely involved parents, which can be a bit of a nuisance for a teacher who is only getting the hang of things.  One ungraded problem in the workbook results in a complaint to the main office. 

Sometimes students zone out, and I take this personally to a certain extent.  In the course of my own schooling I considered myself an attentive and fun student to have (must I flatter myself so shamelessly?) but that’s not to say I have never…passed a note in class.  My bigger issue is currently outright misbehavior and my ability to act as a disciplinarian.  The art of teaching at WILS is learning how to be the perfect balance between educator and entertainer.  Technically I’m a teacher but most days I feel like I am fulfilling a variety of roles: teacher, babysitter, disciplinarian, entertainer, and hopefully friend.  The difficult kids will never disappear, but if I strive for the harmonious balance between entertainment and learning I think some of the discipline issues will fall away.
The spelling test of one of my most difficult students.  After I got to know him, I realized he was actually very smart, but just pure 7 year old boy with ADHD. Despite a perfect score, he might need to study his name a little bit more! Still hard to reign him in sometimes, but he is the least of my troubles in this particular class now.  Did you know a pencil case can make a great imaginary gun?

3 comments:

  1. I was the teacher librarian for a community college class that many students disliked. (Once a student ran for class president on the plank he would get rid of the class.) It was an "intro to college" class, and I taught the "intro to academic libraries" part of it. I met with the students once or twice during the quarter, and I knew that they weren't all that interested in what I had to say even when I told them that every college graduate I talked to about the class said he or she wished she could have taken this class... I never let the students' boredom, disenchantment, anger or whatever they were feeling get me down. The reason? I knew I would never get instant gratification (even when the instructors of the class said to give a hand to the librarian!). I had to think long term. As long as I knew my intent was to help every student in the class, I did my best. I know that many of the students would days, weeks or years later say, "Oh, I get what that lady was saying." I was o.k. with never seeing that moment, but I knew it would happen.

    I so wish, allie, that you and I could talk about teaching - especially about getting discouraged. There is a wonderful article by Buchmann (an MSU prof!!!) who discusses how important it is to remember the ROLE of the teacher. I have read this article so many times, and I believe it's what kept me from getting burned out teaching.

    you know i love you and i think of you often. keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wise words! I would love to read that article if you can dig it up. I hope I didn't come off as feeling too discouraged, though! I'm enjoying myself for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chuckled at your comment that involved parents can be a bit of a nuisance!

    I go out of my way to be annoying. Good thing that that's not too difficult!

    ReplyDelete