Sunday, January 13, 2013

Skiing


There is no shortage of mountains in Korea. Skiing and snowboarding are popular winter activities…and I wanted in on them. I debated an overnight trip at the resort where the 2018 Winter Olympics will take place (about 3 hours away) but opted to take a day trip to the nearest slopes to Seoul (only 1.5 hours from Mokdong, barring any traffic.) A few chilly days during the week reminded me that spending a full weekend outdoors might be too much.

A free shuttle bus to the musically-themed Vivaldi resort left Mokdong subway station at 6am. Talk about convenience. We arrived a few minutes before the ticket counters even opened. Once they did, we shuttled ourselves from station to station (tickets, pants rental, ski rental, lockers) in true Korean fashion. Efficiency!

I’ve only skied a few times, the last time maybe 6 years ago, but it always came naturally. I felt more unsure of myself than I have in the past. I’d say it was the iciest and most crowded conditions I have experienced. Waiting for the lift in the afternoon took 20 minutes. But when you’re only 90 minutes from Seoul, what can you expect?

The snowy mountain slopes were serene, though a few moments left me frustrated. Turning was harder than I remembered and my skis kept crossing! (Perhaps icy patches and loose boots are to blame.) Despite a few frozen toes, I was in no place to complain…I was skiing in Korea! Nothing that a salty-sweet soy hot chocolate couldn't thaw out!

At last I got some much needed downtime on Sunday. A lazy morning followed by wandering in the Noksapyeong/Itaewon areas. The day's ambling began with a few steals from a friend's garage sale and a jar of her homemade black bean hummus...with cilantro! (Many Koreans hate cilantro, and by hate I mean they might freak out if it's touching their food.) Stopped in at a favorite vegan-friendly cafe for the world's best soy chai latte. This combined with a new engrossing book and half a slice of (free) vegan carrot cake created a perfectly charmed moment. I heard the slice's other half's owner remark that it was the best carrot cake he's ever tasted...and he didn't even know it was vegan! Completed the afternoon at High Street Market where I had to spoil myself with few other vegan goodies...it's birthday month, right?? A great weekend came to an end with a late night showing of Life of Pi.



Going up Techno! Uh oh...

I looked just as cool...

...not. But having fun!

 Independent ski trip success!



No comments:

Post a Comment