Monday, November 19, 2012

Bukhansan


Another weekend, another opportunity to embrace my inner Korean and hit the mountains. I’ve been meaning to get out to Bukhansan National Park since early October during Chuseok break. Mount Bukhan is the tallest mountain in Seoul is directly accessible by subway making it incredibly convenient. Finally the time was right! Our hike would take us up to the highest peak, Baekundae, standing tall at 836.5 meters.

With the past week or two in the 40s I was concerned that it might be a little too chilly to actually enjoy hiking. But I was determined to see this mountain and it wasn’t getting any warmer anytime soon. I informed my students that if I didn’t show up to school the next week I had frozen at Bukhansan. As we marched up the mountain I felt empowered and alive…and thankfully warm. Nearing the peak, it was indeed windy and chilly. Lunch was brief because everyone preferred to keep their body heat up and trek on.

To reach the summit, we had to climb a smooth rock surface with the assistance of a heavy-duty wire that had been drilled into the rock. I had not been expecting this level of adventure! The wire was essential to getting to the peak but also served as a guardrail for what would have otherwise been quite dangerous. At the very top a South Korean flag waved proudly in the freezing (literally) wind…alongside the flag a thermometer read 32 degrees (not to mention wind chill!) But regardless, it was the best vantage point I’ve had of Seoul thus far. At the highest point of this huge city with no trees to obstruct the view it truly felt like we were in the clouds! We were thankful that a short way down from the peak lay a shelter with hot (literally) commodities: hot chocolate, coffee, soup! Much needed to properly thaw out and finish the remainder of the hike.

The leaves are still falling in the city but on Bukhansan they were entirely on the ground. The barren trees allowed for hiking scenery that would have been otherwise concealed by autumn. Fall foliage in Seoul has been spectacular, but the undistracting and peaceful nature of trekking through a winter forest should not be understated.

Even though Seoraksan is considered tops for the region, this was my favorite hiking experience so far in Korea. The trail snacks were satisfying, the company was enjoyable, and I felt energized with each step! Winter hiking remains to be seen for me but finishing off fall with a hike like this one makes it look more and more appealing…

 Here we go!

 A little colder toward the top

 The very brief lunch view before continuing on

 Perhaps would have been longer if we had had the ingenuity to make a lunch bubble

 The natural view

 The urban view

The tippy top!

No comments:

Post a Comment