Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgivings


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and maybe always has been. It involves spending time with family and showing gratitude while eating far too many favorite foods all in one day. I distinctly remember telling an elementary school teacher that Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday because, unlike Christmas, my entire family was together thanks to a certain aunt who traveled from Seattle. I have wonderful memories of family gatherings growing up. There is no place I’d rather be than with my family carrying on tradition. As a child I was oblivious to certain family dynamics, but even now I don’t dwell on them and I appreciate each and every member of my family. I find myself wondering if these family gatherings are as formative for my younger cousins as they were for me.

My mom came down with the flu on Thanksgiving so my parents were absent from family festivities this year. Maybe knowing that I wasn’t the only one missing out made it a little easier. Had it been me, I would have to be in the hospital to not pull myself out of bed to celebrate. But I guess everyone has varying degrees of love for sweet potato casserole. Mine just happens to be very high.

In order to spend this year in Korea, I knew I had to spend Thanksgiving away from home. I was fully prepared to expect that my most trying moments in Korea might fall around the holidays. Seeing Facebook posts of students traveling home for Thanksgiving break did make me a bit nostalgic. Why wasn’t I on my way home, too? I had a few moments and felt a bit on and off throughout the weekend, but overall it wasn’t been as hard as I built it up to be.

Maybe this was because I have been able to surround myself with other Americans who are just as enthusiastic about this holiday. Maybe it has to do with getting to share American holiday traditions with Korean students and friends. Maybe it was because I got to eat Thanksgiving food with chopsticks (how's that for new experiences??) Or maybe it had to do with the fact that I am totally overcompensating here…this Thanksgiving was celebrated over the course THREE potluck gatherings. How could I be so lucky?! This doesn't even include my Thursday Thanksgiving dinner that I enjoyed with Korean friends at a great Korean grilled fish restaurant.

I have so much to be thankful for. I don’t need a holiday to remind me of this. With each and every passing day I think of the wonder friends and family in my life. And Thanksgiving also happens to coincide with my three month mark in Korea! The new experiences, the people I’ve met, it’s all been incredible. Such a positive feeling to wake up each morning and radiate gratitude for the opportunities I have had and am having.

So happy to receive this picture! I miss these silly kids!

 A few missing faces, but I feel so included back home!

 A view from (vegan) potluck #1.
I brought mashed potatoes with coconut milk...genius?

 There I am, actively working myself into a food coma.

 My Thursday dinner!

Potluck #2 with coworkers. I made Ina's Spinach Gratin, just like my mom!
However, due to toaster oven troubles, mine became a spinach dip.
Nobody complained...



No comments:

Post a Comment