Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy Pepero (빼빼로) Day!


Another holiday to celebrate! In Korea, November 11th (11/11) is Pepero Day, one of several Valentine’s days here. This one happens to be based on the sweet snack of Pepero sticks. You may be wondering what are these Pepero sticks I speak of? Why, they are very thin biscuits, ¾ dipped in chocolate, and sometimes rolled in nuts and other variations. The holiday originates from the way two vertical Pepero sticks create the number 11 when placed side by side.

At every corner store and supermarket elaborate tables of Pepero sticks have popped up.  These lavish displays also include balloons and nighttime flood lighting. You may already be familiar with these treats since Japan has an identical a very different snack by the name of Pocky. Heaven forbid you mistakenly use the Japanese brand name! Businesses everywhere are claiming a little piece of Pepero Day for themselves. Bakeries are making 11-shaped desserts, Dunkin Donuts has 11-shaped chocolate-dipped donuts, clothing stores are having 11% off sales. As a recently-realized holiday lover, I’m not minding the festiveness one bit. However, it is an entirely consumerist holiday put on by the mega-brand Lotte. As my favorite vegan blogger in Korea said, do we really need to buy things to show our loved ones how we feel? On the other hand...chocolate.

Toblerone chocolate bars and Ferroro Rocher hazelnut chocolates also seem to be sharing some of spotlight. Two of my top chocolates! So all around, November is a good day to be Allie in SoKo. Unfortunately, Pepero Day falls on a Sunday this year. My best shot at receiving some Pepero was from my students. I wonder if I can expect this holiday to carry over into Monday…this is incredibly very wishful thinking as final exams are administered tomorrow. I've studied for my fair share of exams and I can’t say I’d want to show my teacher how much I love them on final test day.

Update: Since posting, I have received a lovely chocolate-dipped baguette from my ever-so-thoughtful roommate, Bethany! A happy Pepero day it is!

Update to the update: I asked my one class that openly tells me they like me why they didn't bring me any Pepero today. They immediately assured me they would bring some on Wednesday. Do I feel guilty about this? Nah... 

 A fairly modest display seen at every corner mart

What the hype is all about

No comments:

Post a Comment