Saturday, November 17, 2012

Seoul Lantern Festival 2012

The Seoul Lantern Festival has been going on the past few weeks at the Cheonggyecheon river walk. Advertisements have been everywhere and it seemed like an appropriate touristy thing to do. Hand-made lanterns depicting the chronological history of Korea illuminated this urban stream for a 1.5km stretch. In addition to a visual representation of the Korean dynasties, one section featured 40 lanterns of stereotypically traditional children from countries all over the world, the German boy in lederhosen, the Japanese girl in a kimono, while the American child was accurately portrayed as an American Indian. The final lanterns of the walking show depicted superheroes…because superheroes are of course emblematic of…modernity?

I have great coworkers and I’m so thankful to have this base of fun friends. But in a city with tons of sites to explore, I like to feel that I’m expanding my social circle, as well. The past few weeks I’ve gone on a few outings with people I’ve met through hiking trips and other various places. When meeting someone new, the easiest thing has been to catch a meal together. This time I explored the Lantern Festival with new company. I never know which friendships will stick, and in the end it’s the good friendships I’m really after. Whether or not we meet again, it was an enjoyable, albeit it chilly, evening in downtown Seoul!



 Lanterns representing traditional Korean history

 One of few pictures my camera wanted to cooperate on

 International children



No comments:

Post a Comment